Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dog's World

Today was a sad and difficult day for Mike, Heather, Sammy, and me. Sabby, elderly blonde terrier, is gone. His heart was enlarged (always suspected that) and pumping irregularly, he had a mass in his bladder and a very scary mass in his spleen. Although he was 17, people still said, "What a cute puppy," when they saw him. He was a character, befitting his age, but a lovely character nevertheless. We are all richer for having him share our lives. The Cheese Dog lives on in our memories, and I hope wherever he is, there is no arthritis and lots of green fields, no dry dog food, a snail or two to suss out, and people to smile into his smiling face.

4 comments:

S Kay Murphy said...

What a great tribute. It seems I have been immersed in dogs lately.... I've been trying since summer to get back to the memoir I began which focuses on the best dogs who've owned me. I went for a walk two days ago, contemplating getting back to the book, and was stopped repeatedly by dog after dog. Needless to say, I'm obeying my spirit guides. Ruf, Sapo, Alex, Osa--I miss you every single day. When I get to where you are, I promise we'll all go on a hike together.

Unknown said...

I'm am so sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye to loyal pets so very hard.

Carolyn Burns Bass said...

I've had to put down a couple of dogs and cats. They may not speak with words, or take care of themselves and move away, but they are just as important to us. They leave a hole in our heart and life that is hard to fill.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not agree on it. I assume polite post. Especially the designation attracted me to study the whole story.