Thursday, August 25, 2011

Misplaced Earthquake and Typical Hurricane

The East Coast friends and relatives have our sympathy as nature turns vicious there, first delivering an earthquake in Virginia, which propagated in the harder rock so that it was felt much farther away than it would have been out here.  Then we have Irene, the hurricane that has New York planning to shut down the subways on Saturday perhaps.  And Amtrack and the airlines are canceling travel right and left.  So it's a good time to settle down with a good book and a hurricane lamp to enjoy a nature-induced break from modern life.  That's what these natural disasters impose on us.  The outdoors we ignore most of the time suddenly appears, renders us house-bound or nearly so, but wakes us up to the power and majesty of nature.
Quite a few of my friends attribute all this to global warming but I recall hurricane Hazel's destruction when I was in junior high school, walking home as limbs crashed all around me, half pushed and half pulled by wind gusts that could not keep a constant direction.  I arrived home wet through but exhilarated.  My mom, though, was appalled and thought the school should have kept us there until the winds died down.  No doubt I could have been killed by a falling limb; some of the ones I saw fall were over a foot thick.  But I am glad I didn't miss the immersion in nature's reality.   I hope that wherever you are, you can manage to contact nature regularly and don't have to wait for disasters to make it happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Irene is really scary. I don't think most people think earthquakes are caused by global warming, although hurricanes could increase in power from it. But I've heard that they would be more numerous and about the same in power, which isn't what's happening as best I can tell. Lucia

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,
Are you ever going to "interview" yourself about your memoir? It might be fun. I'd like to get your thoughts on writing it, your fav books, etc.
Rosalind Q